Saturday, 5 September 2015
10 Ways to be Happier
1. Smile more. This one seems obvious but smiling increases your happiness levels in your brain, making you so much happier.
2. Spend time on you. Do whatever makes you happy, whether it be shopping, reading, writing, doing a sport, anything!
3. Surround yourself with positive people. You may not realize it, but your really negative friend with a hateful outlook on life may be subconsciously affecting how you feel. Surrounding yourself with friends who believe in love, unicorns, and sparkles might just change your entire outlook on life.
4. Get out of the house. Being cooped up all day can cause depression. Getting out and keeping busy gives you a sense of accomplishment.
5. Be nicer to others. Ever accidentally say something mean to someone on the go, then later regret it and feel really guilty? Bein nicer to people will give you a sense of pride and will definitely keep you happier.
6. Love yourself. If you can look at yourself in the mirror and be able to say "You're beautiful", you are guaranteed to be happier in life.
7. Get excited for little things. A good friend of mine gets excited for every tiny little good thing that happens in her life. When people asked her why, she simply responded "If we only got excited for the big things in life, life wouldn't be very exciting at all." I'm trying very hard to imprint this philosophy in my every day life.
8. Be thankful. Being gracious will improve your mood by a thousand percent. Realize how lucky you are that you have food on your table and friends and family that love you. Practice gratitude however you like- whether it be by prayer, by giving back, or by simply listing five things you're grateful for every time you brush your teeth at night.
9. Spend more money on experiences, not objects. Objects fade away, lose their magic, and become out of style. Memories last forever.
10. Acknowledge sadness. This seems so unhappy, but I think it's one of the more important ones on this list. If you don't acknowledge sadness, then you'll be stuck with a permanent knot in your chest. You'll constantly be trying to push it away, but it will always be there. Sad days are important for our overall happiness. Without darkness, there wouldn't be light.
Hope you enjoyed, and got something out of this post.