Tuesday, 27 June 2017

Would You Run


The following poem is inspired by my time at Arrowhead Museum and my understanding of Herman Melville's time there, as well as my own brief time there. 

Would You Run

Would you run through the meadow,
If within the long blades of grass there were creatures yearning to bite at your ankles
Would you run?

Would you run through the fields,
If you knew that soon the clouds up above and cast a shadow, making them devoid of light 
Would you run?

Would you run down a lonely road,
If darkness lingered along the path, waiting to snatch you as you passed it by
Would you run? 

Would you run to the trees,
If you could discover the maggots that live under ripped up bark 
Would you run?

Would you run up to your room,
If the ocean below you was but a dipped, rickety floor, but below there still swam sharks just like the sharks in your head
Would you run?

Would you run far north,
If the mountain ahead would reveal to you secrets you had been keeping from yourself the whole time you stared and wondered
Would you run? 

But do I need to ask, 
One more time
Because you wouldn't run, my darling, 
You would fly. 

8 comments:

  1. I love the overall message of this poem!
    Brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This poem, when I first read it, made me a bit anxious for reasons that you already know-- facing fears head on is TERRIFYING. But after reading it through the second time, it made me calm. We will fly and soar. And it will be splendid.

    xoxo Abigail Lennah | ups & downs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful poem about facing your fears. I especially like the shift at the end: "You wouldn't run, my darling. You would fly."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a beautiful poem, I love the depth and sentiment behind it. You've great talent.

    Kate x
    www.triviali-tea.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete